The Wooley Artist in a Lilly Zoo

My Girls, our sheepies,chickens and their eggs, fiber, sometimes paint, homemade goodies and life on a small hobby farm called LillyZoo

Monday, February 23, 2009

Little by little



























Before After

This weekend: Busy and Short

We met our new local midwife, Martha Roth for the first time. Lovely lady and friend of our current midwife and pal Susan Brockmann on the island.





We found an unexpected great deal on two antique looking ceiling fans and Ant installed them.









Before After










I installed some cheap ($20 a section @ ikea) fun wool rugs to cover the lead filled (but paint sealed) stairs. The carpets just happen to be the perfect lengths to make it up the steps to the top step.

We figured out that the ol' house has no insulation except the 60s renovation of the attic which has rodent infested insulation. The house is literally like sleeping outside in a tent (okay a little better)... just clapboard beyond the plaster, tons of draft. Heating bills...Yikes. Anthony is diligently researching the best way to insulate the empty walls and evacuate the nasty critters in them. He has been capturing chipmunks for months.
















The hubby got out his big power tool (snicker) and cut down an old yew (chipmunk highway) that was over grown and planted right next to the kitchen window. Let the light shine in! Now the girls have a nice balance beam for their play area.














Notice the clothes washer in the kitchen. We are high tech.

Free things put to good use: Salvaged white 48 inch wood blinds I had sittin in the garage. I found some little white shelves on trash day that went nicely in the kitchen. I have one room down in the cellar of the house that is full of great canning jars and lots of pots, dishes and pans. I picked up a bunch of great antique mason jars of different brand names to put my dry goods in. I found a Dansk cast and ceramic style dutch oven that I will put to good use to make No Knead Bread. Mainly odds and ends around the house. Little by little our elderly home is becoming more and more clean and happy.


3 comments:

choo choo knits said...

welcome home! it's coming along beautifully! I absolutely love the stairs - you're so creative.

themagiconions said...

Your home is beautiful.

Lisa said...

What a gem of a house you have, although it sounds awfully cold! My in-laws live in an old farm house that is insulated with leaves.
I love the pic of your young uns' in the eagle nest. My girls and I laughed out loud at it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails