The Wooley Artist in a Lilly Zoo

My Girls, our sheepies,chickens and their eggs, fiber, sometimes paint, homemade goodies and life on a small hobby farm called LillyZoo

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Great Big Molly Moocher




... Thats me










E my 2 yo fell into a patch of poison ivy. Of course I paniced and raced her into the laundry room for a bath in Technu and a change of clothes. After she was settled from her tramatic event I went right back out with gloves and a bag and started pulling the nasty stuff from the girls play area. ( I am sure I will end up with it too and you will hear about it). Well upon closer inspection of my dirty job area I accidentally found 3 Morel Mushrooms coming up.










Can't see it?

















Look again... Awesome!!!

















I have been reading the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and just last night covered the chapter on Molly Moochers. I couldn't have been more excited to find them. I raced right in to brag to my gal pal who is also reading the book.



After soaking the shrooms for 2 hours in salt water I made dinner.









I changed this up a bit from its original by Chef Mike Trombley. This was so yummy that even my two year old couldn't get enough of the 'brown stuff' and the 5 year old who helped me pick the morels ate everything. Triumph!!!









Morels with Angel Hair Pasta and Chevre

Ingredients: Serves 2 and 2 little halves
2 c Cleaned, halved, uncooked morels
2 oz Whole butter
4 c Cooked egg Capellini
2 wild Spring unions (from the woods next door)
1/2 c chopped sundried tomatoes in garlic oil
4 oz or more Crumbled fresh Chevre (goat cheese)
2 oz Medium body Chardonnay (we make ourselves)
Chives for garnish
tt salt and pepper
Preparation:
Heat a medium size saute pan on high until hot, turn down to medium heat.Add whole butter and shallots and sweet until translucent, then add morels. Cook morels until soft and add tomatoes, herbs and white wine toss all together and season with salt and pepper. Toss with cooked capellini. Plate using a swirling motion to create height, and garnish with the chevre.

2 comments:

temptressyarn said...

We'll be there Saturday (hint hint). Remember to save a few in place to let them fruit to make more for next year!

Too cool. Craig caught a huge Striped Bass this weekend...first day out fishing. Spring is bountiful. :)

Tan Family said...

What a beautiful place! Such magical mushrooms...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails