The Wooley Artist in a Lilly Zoo

My Girls, our sheepies,chickens and their eggs, fiber, sometimes paint, homemade goodies and life on a small hobby farm called LillyZoo

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Joan Gussow's 80th Birthday Bash

Joan Dye Gussow is one of my favorite spunky and wise teachers and on Oct 11th I had the opportunity to meet her and celebrate the 50th anniversary of her 30th birthday (that was how the invite read.)
Picture:Susan, Joan and myself
This summer I spent any free moment pouring over her wonderful book This Organic Life. Then one of my closest pals (and midwife) called me up and said, "You'll never guess what I got in the mail today." She knew I was busy studying every word. Anyway it was an invitation to her 80th Birthday party!!! She has known Joan for several years after meeting her through the Natural Mothering Forum when she asked her to speak to our group.
Well despite my morning sickness we were on our way upstate. The party was a potluck gathering of, of course, a seasonal spread and very well coordinated. I took a warm kale and tomato salad (from my garden) and even though the invite said "no gifts please" I mustered up enough creativity to felt a midnight shawl that was as soft as cashmere. (I later got a email of great gratitude from Joan explaining how much she loved the shawl and was amazed at it's construction.)
What an honor to meet her!!! The other people invited to the party were an interesting mix of healthy and conscientious "foodies" that ranged from theatrical limerick spouters to cookbook writers like (just to name drop) Julia Della Croca, another nice foodie writer from the east end, and I met the Irene Hamburger of Blue Hill at Stone Barns. It was a fabulous night good food and great conversations with the added bonus of being in the presence of greatness!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails